If you’re age 65 or older, then you’ve been automatically enrolled in Medicare, which is a federal health insurance program provided for senior citizens. If you’re a qualified member who struggles with limited mobility, you might be wondering if a walk-in tub would be covered by Medicare, since it will help you age in place and make bathing safer for you. Unfortunately, walk-in tubs are generally not covered by Medicare because they are currently not considered durable, medical equipment. However, in some rare circumstances, Medicare may provide partial reimbursements. So, if you’ve invested in a walk-in tub, you’ll at least be able to try and recoup some of your money.
Steps to Follow to Seek Partial Reimbursement for Your Walk-in Tub
Although Medicare might reimburse you for your walk-in purchase, there’s still a good chance that they won’t. In this case, you must be prepared to absorb the full cost of the walk-in tub, including installation. If you do want to seek compensation for a walk-in tub, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- The first and most important step is to get a doctor’s prescription for your walk-in tub. If you don’t get a written prescription from your doctor before you purchase the walk-in tub, you have almost no chance of a Medicare reimbursement.
- Next, find a walk-in tub that has features that will accommodate your needs and budget, and look for a reputable company that you can trust to install it.
- Finally, it’s time to send your prescription and paid invoice to Medicare and hope for the best. You might just get lucky, and they could possibly reimburse you for some of the cost.
What Are the Safety Benefits of a Walk-in Tub?
When you need to invest in a walk-in tub, it’s most likely because you struggle with limited mobility, which can make it difficult to bath safely. A walk-in tub can help to reduce the chances of suffering an injury while bathing because they come with a number of safety benefits, including:
- A low-threshold entry – A low-threshold entry makes it easier for you to enter and exit your walk-in tub, reducing the chance that you’ll lose your balance and fall because you won’t have to step over a tub wall.
- Safety bars – These will allow you to maneuver around the tub while having a steady thing to hold on to, making it easier for you to maintain your balance. These safety bars will also make it easier for you to lower yourself into and lift yourself out of the tub.
- Seating options – Having raised seats in your walk-in tub will prevent you from having to lower yourself all the way to the bottom of the tub floor, making it much easier for you to get into and out of the tub.
- Handheld shower wand – This will allow you to wash the upper portion of your body without moving around too much.
- Slip-resistant floors – Because your feet will be able to grip the floors better, slip-resistant floors will help you to maintain your balance inside the walk-in tub and will drastically reduce your chances of slipping.
Spa-Like Features of Walk-in Tubs
In addition to their safety features, walk-in tubs can also be equipped with a number of luxurious features that will make your bathing experience much more enjoyable. Some of the features that can be added to most walk-in tubs include:
- Heated soak – This upgrade consists of mini jets that are designed to continuously circulate warm water, so you can enjoy a nice long soak.
- Hydrotherapy – Hydrotherapy jets will give your body a nice relaxing massage, and can help to ease tension, improve circulation, and soothe muscles and joints.
- Chromatherapy – This consists of placing color-changing LED lights around the walk-in tub to help influence your mood, emotions, and feelings.
Bathe Safely with a Walk-in Tub from Bath Expo
If you live in Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, or anywhere else near Central Texas and are looking for a company you can trust to install a walk-in tub in your home, look no further than the experts at Bath Expo. We have high-quality walk-in tubs and make a priority to provide outstanding customer service, making us the perfect company to work with. For more information about the walk-in tubs we have available, contact Bath Expo today.