The cost to replace a tub in the Dallas-Fort Worth area can range anywhere from about $500 to $20,000. There’s obviously a wide gap between those numbers so you’ll need to gather more specific information to get a closer estimate on how much your bathtub replacement will cost.
What Factors Can Affect the Cost of My Bathtub Replacement?
While replacing a tub might sound like a fairly straightforward home improvement project, it’s much more involved than what meets the eye. Here are some of the issues you’ll want to consider when calculating how much your tub replacement might cost:
- What type of bathtub do you want?
- What material do you want your new bathtub to be made from?
- How much labor will it take to remove your existing tub?
- Will you also need a new tub surround? If so, what type of tub surround do you want?
- Do you need any special plumbing work to be completed during your tub remodel?
- Do you have any damage in your bathroom that will need to be repaired before your new tub can be installed?
- Will you want any particular fixtures or features to be installed with your tub?
Let’s take a closer look at a couple of these factors to help narrow down what your bathtub replacement will cost.
What Type of Bathtub Do You Want?
The first question to ask yourself is what type of new bathtub will meet your needs. You won’t want to pay for unnecessary features, nor will you want to invest in a tub that doesn’t have the functionality you’re hoping for. The main types of bathtubs on the market include:
- Standard bathtubs—These basic bathtubs provide all the essentials without any frills.
- Soaking bathtubs—These bathtubs are deeper than standard bathtubs so that you’re able to submerge your entire body when taking a bath.
- Whirlpool and air jet tubs—These bathtubs have jets of water and/or air that massage your body while you soak. This creates a more spa-like experience and can be beneficial for those with sore muscles, arthritis, and other conditions.
- Walk-in tubs—As the name suggests, walk-in tubs have a door so you can walk into the tub without climbing over a tub wall. Walk-in tubs offer a safer bathing experience than other tubs and can also provide the same therapeutic experience as a soaking tub or whirlpool tub.
What Material Do You Want Your New Bathtub to Be Made From?
Another consideration for bathtub replacement is the material your new tub is made from. Each material has its advantages, so it’s good to weigh those benefits against what your priorities are.
Some of the most popular tub materials include:
- Acrylic—Acrylic bathtubs are relatively low in price and come with many benefits for homeowners. First, acrylic is a nonporous material so it’s easy to clean and resists mold and mildew. Acrylic also tends to stay warm which can keep your bath water more comfortable. Since acrylic can be custom-molded into any size or style of tub, you can get acrylic tubs in standard, soaking, whirlpool, and walk-in varieties. This material also can be manufactured into many different colors, designs, and finishes.
- Fiberglass—Fiberglass tubs are affordable, lightweight, and come in a range of colors. On the flip side, fiberglass scratches and stains more easily than other bathtub materials. It also does not retain heat well so it’s not recommended for those who want to use their tub for long soaks.
- Cast Iron—Although enameled cast iron tubs are at a relatively high price point, they’re durable and retain heat well which makes them a favorite for people who like to soak. These bathtubs are also heavy so you might need to reinforce your floor before having a cast iron tub installed.
- Cultured Marble—While a more expensive option, cultured marble bathtubs are beautiful and luxurious. Since cultured marble is nonporous, it’s easy to clean but it does scratch so you have to be careful not to use any abrasive cleansers.
Just keep in mind that not every style of tub comes in every material, so if you have your heart set on one particular material, it could limit the style of bathtub you install at your home.
Contact Bath Expo to Receive a Quote for Your Bathtub Replacement
Bath Expo replaces bathtubs for homeowners throughout Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, and the rest of Central Texas. We install a wide variety of bathtubs — including standard, soaking, whirlpool, and walk-in tubs — that are made from nonporous, easy to maintain acrylic. To learn more about our bathtubs and receive a quote to replace a tub at your home, contact Bath Expo today.