Small bathroom remodeling costs vary a great deal depending on a wide array of factors, but the average cost for this project typically hovers around $9,000. That is an average, however, which means the cost to remodel your small bathroom could range from a few hundred dollars to $15,000 or more.
Read on to learn more about the factors that will influence the cost of remodeling your small bathroom.
The Layout of Your Bathroom
Do you want to completely change the layout of your bathroom, or are you satisfied with the way it’s set up now? The answer to this question will greatly influence the cost of your small bathroom remodeling project. If you want to gut your bathroom and move the location of your shower, bathtub, sink, or toilet, this will significantly increase the cost of your remodel. The labor and plumbing work involved in rearranging the layout of your bathroom is the main reason why the cost is so much higher.
However, if you’re happy with the current layout of your bathroom and only want to replace the tub, shower, toilet, flooring, lighting, and sink, the cost of your remodel will decrease significantly. It’s possible that replacing your old fixtures with today’s new designs will provide you with the functionality you desire without having to change their location. Considering how much cheaper that would be, it’s definitely worth looking into.
Starting to Estimate Your Costs
One way to begin estimating the cost to remodel your small bathroom is to add up the materials you’ll need. Some small bathrooms only have a toilet and sink, while others are full bathrooms with a vanity, shower, and tub, so the cost of materials will depend on the type of small bathroom you have. Some of the materials you might need to include on your list are:
- Bathtub—Most small bathrooms would have a standard tub but you might want to look into a soaker or walk-in bathtub.
- Shower—The cost of a new shower depends on the materials used. For example, do you want a tile shower, acrylic, or natural stone?
- Doors—Glass doors for your shower or tub would add significant costs compared to a shower curtain.
- Shower/Bathtub Surrounds—In addition to your bathtub or shower base, you’ll also want the surrounding walls of your tub or shower to be beautiful and easy to maintain. Surrounds can be made from a variety of materials including acrylic, fiberglass, and tile.
- Fixtures—Depending on what you choose, showerheads and bathtub faucets can add several hundred dollars to your bathroom remodeling project.
- Sink—Some small bathrooms have a pedestal sink to save space, but others are able to fit full sinks and vanities.
- Faucet—You’ll probably want your sink’s faucet to match the fixtures in your tub or shower.
- Vanity—Installing a new vanity is a great way to add storage and counter space to your small bathroom.
- Countertops—To go along with your new vanity, you might need new countertops which come in many different materials like granite, glass, ceramic, or travertine.
- Cabinetry—If there’s room, you might be able to add extra cabinetry in your bathroom.
- Flooring—There are several types of flooring that work well in a bathroom’s wet environment. These include porcelain or ceramic tile, vinyl flooring, natural stone, laminate, and engineered wood.
- Lighting—It’s important that your bathroom is well-illuminated so select your bathroom lighting carefully. You’ll also want the finish of your lighting fixture (chrome, nickel, bronze, brass, etc.) to blend well with your other bathroom fixtures.
- Miscellaneous—Mirrors, towel bars, grab bars, seating, molding, and wainscoting are some of many finishing touches you might want for your newly remodeled bathroom.
Minimizing Costs and Maximizing Impact
If you’d like to renovate your small bathroom without breaking the bank, consider remodeling just the bathing area. A brand new bathtub, shower, or tub-shower combo will give your small bathroom a completely new look while turning your bathroom into a spa-like oasis you’ll thoroughly enjoy using.
Bath Expo remodels bathtubs and showers in bathrooms of all sizes throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth, Central Texas, and San Antonio areas. For more information and to receive a quote for your small bathroom remodel, contact us today.