Replacing an existing bathtub with a walk-in shower has become a popular upgrade for many homeowners in the Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio areas. This is mainly because homeowners appreciate walk-in showers for their convenience and beauty, and often no one in the home uses the bathtub anyway. If you’re considering taking on this task yourself, here are the general steps you will need to follow:
- Remove the existing tub and wall surround – The first thing you’ll need to do is remove your existing tub, as well as any tile and backerboards so that your installation area is down to the original skeleton.
- Upgrade plumbing – While your plumbing is exposed, have it inspected by a licensed, insured plumber and ask them to make any necessary upgrades. If your tub didn’t have a showerhead installed, you’ll need to ask your plumber to add one.
- Replace the framing and subfloor — Inspect the wall studs and subfloor for mildew, mold, and rot and replace or repair as needed.
- Install a vapor barrier and cement backerboard — Staple your vaper barrier (at least 4-mm thick) to the studs. The vapor barrier must cover the entire walls and floor of your shower area. Then install cement backerboard on the walls over the vapor barrier. Use concrete backerboard screws to secure the backerboard to the studs. Do not use drywall to build your shower walls.
- Apply seam tape and a waterproof membrane — Apply cement backerboard seam tape to the places where the edges of the cement backerboard meet. Coat the tape with thinset mortar. After the thinset is dry, use a paintbrush or roller to apply two coats of waterproof membrane.
- Choose and install your shower pan – You will have to choose what type of shower pan you want to use and then install it into the floor of the existing bathing space. For a walk-in shower, you’ll want a shower pan with the lowest lip possible to minimize tripping hazards.
- Install the tile or other wall surround – Now you have to install the tile or wall surround to cover up the walls and to give your new walk-in shower the style that you want.
Let the Experts at Bath Expo Replace Your Tub with a Walk-in Shower
Since our founding in 2006, Bath Expo has helped countless homeowners in the Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Central Texas areas replace their tubs with walk-in showers. Our installation experts have the experience and knowledge to get the job done right, and we only use beautiful, high-quality products. If you’re ready to replace your old and outdated tub with the walk-in shower of your dreams, contact Bath Expo today.